Wisdom tooth mainly occurs between the late teen and early twenties. They do not perform any role in chewing and have no genuine purpose. Almost every adult has four wisdom teeth, one in each of the four quadrants, but it is possible to have none. It has a rare chance. If the wisdom tooth emanates normally, it does not cause pain. The problem arises when wisdom teeth get stuck against other teeth when there is no space left. Some people face serious complications during the development of their wisdom teeth. While others do not feel pain at all.
What causes wisdom tooth pain:
When there is not enough space in the gums for the wisdom tooth to emerge, it may erupt at an acute angle, causing considerable discomfort and displacement of neighboring teeth. Wisdom tooth pain arises when the molar is partially exposed. A partially exposed molar toot creates a space where food and bacteria are trapped thus causing pain.
Signs that show your wisdom tooth is coming out:
Before performing an X-ray you may know that your wisdom teeth are about to emerge when you experience the following symptoms.
- Pain in your jaws.
- Gum bleeding or tenderness.
- Bad breath.
- Swelling in your gums especially in the region of the second molar.
- A sour feeling in the mouth.
Other complications associated with wisdom tooth pain:
If you are suffering from wisdom tooth pain you may also experience the following complications:
- Red swollen gums
- Pain in your gum or jaw
- Swallowing problem
- Pain in the throat
- A bump in gum or the tip of the tooth
When to see a dentist:
Visit your dentist to get the wisdom tooth extracted if it is partially lodged or impacted. Closely follow your dentist’s advice for protecting the wound and the blood clot that forms inside. If the blood clot becomes dislodged, you’ll experience intense pain from the exposed bone.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction:
The best thing for wisdom tooth pain caused by impaction or infection is often tooth extraction. If your dentist examines leaving the tooth in place is likely to cause further problems. So, they will recommend removing it.
Home Remedies to relieve wisdom tooth pain:
Before going to a dentist try the following home remedies to lessen your wisdom tooth pain.
- Apply OTC (over-the-counter) pain-relieving cream like ibuprofen.
- Ice cubes lessen the swelling and inflation around the wisdom tooth and thus reduce pain.
- Rinse and swish the affected area with saltwater. A glass of warm water with a spoon of salt mixed into it helps reduce tooth pain.
- Use turmeric as it has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. Make a paste of turmeric and apply it to the affected part.
- Applying clove oil or clove buds on the painful wisdom tooth part is another home remedy to reduce pain and inflammation.