A dental night guard is a treatment for patients who have a habit of grinding teeth while sleeping. This treatment is also known as bruxism. The habit of grinding the teeth is not in the control of the patient but this becomes a reason for developing many dental problems.
If this habit is left without treatment it will cause the loosening of teeth, cracks, bleeding, chipped, headaches, and many other issues. So, make sure you will treat this grinding problem as soon as possible to be safe from future problems.
Types of Dental Night Guard
There are three types of dental night guard: stored and custom-made by dentists. This helps reduce the habit of teeth grinding. There is no harm in using the custom-made Nightguard because it is made according to the details of customized orders.
This would be more comfortable I use as well. The dentist will design the Nightguard according to your jaw alignment. The dentist will keep surety of your comfort so you would not lead to any other issue.
The store-made dental night guards are very affordable but not easily adjustable on your jaw alignment. On the other side is the customize Dental night guard which is made by the dentist. According to your jaw size is a bit expensive but they are long-lasting for approximately 10 years.
The third type of night guard is “Hard night guard.” This is created with acrylic and use for the treatment of TMJ and severe levels of teeth grinding cases. When the jaw muscles are in a relaxed position it changes the bite in a healthy centric position. This type of night guard is the most durable because these are made up of firm material.
What are the Other Treatment Options?
If you are not satisfied with using dental night guards the no worry there are other options available too. Like you are recommended to visit the physiologist for stress reduction. Then you are suggested to reduce the use of caffeine, tea and coffee, and other similar items.
When do you need to have this treatment?
Well, the dentist is the best diagnosis of this issue but if you want to know the symptoms then check out the below mention list.
- Chipped teeth
- Loosen teeth
- Flat teeth
- Waking up with sore jaw muscles
- Neck pain
- Facial pain
- Bad smelled
If you notice any of above mention issues in your daily route you just need to visit the dentist before the pain intensity goes uncontrollable.
Pro Tips for Adjustable Night Guards for Teeth
- Search for the thinnest guard because it will be easily adjustable in all types of alignments.
- Do not frequently change your night guard, at least stay it for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Make your regular habit of wearing it.
- After 4 to 6 weeks it will become your normal routine and seem a lot easier to carry them.
- Adjust it properly before going to bed.
Fitting your Dental Night Guard for teeth
The different brands use different procedures to fit for Bruxism. Below we are mentioning some standard procedures:
- One size fits all: This is design in standard size which is approximately adjusted for all mouths. These are occasionally used, dental night guards. Low in price and not much comfortable.
- Boil and Bite: This is the procedure in which you boil water and bite into it to leave your impression. This is the simplest and widely used method for teeth grinding treatment.
- Order Online: few sites are selling them online. All you need to do is to send your impression to them and they will reply to your fitted mouthpiece.
- Made in Lab: The most professionalize night guards are made in a lab with the excite alignment of a patient’s jawline.